Become a Coach or Volunteer and Make a Difference
Without caring mentors, positive youth development just doesn’t happen. At The First Tee, we take coaching seriously. We believe that a meaningful, quality relationship between coach and participant is vital to our program.
As you consider volunteering for our chapter, know that the safety of our kids is our first priority. Please read our Prevention Policies to see how we conduct programs and activities at our chapter.
Are you up for the challenge?
We currently have more than 3,700 coaches signed up with The First Tee, including PGA and LPGA pros, as well as volunteers. But you don’t have to be a golf pro or even a good golfer. With The First Tee Coach Program, we provide the training you need.
Developed with input from leading experts in the field of positive youth development, our program focuses on empowering participants through decision-making and exploring options. This helps foster positive relationships between coaches and young people, inspiring the golfers of tomorrow to look to the future, set goals, and unlock their potential.
Coaches working through The First Tee Coach Program choose their own level of involvement. The program includes the following levels:
- Assistant Coach
- The First Tee Coach-in-Training (Level I, II, III)
- The First Tee Coach
- The First Tee Master Coach
- Junior Coach
Make an Impact Off the Course
- Coaches (Are you curious about what a coach does during our classes? Here is a description for our Lead Coaches.)
- We need more than coaches to make The First Tee possible. Our chapters rely on volunteers — sometimes year-round — to accomplish our mission, and not all of those goals involve golf. Most chapters need support off the course as well. These opportunities include:
- Junior Coaches – Are you a high school or college golf team member and want to get involved with The First Tee? Or a young person that wants to get involved with The First Tee of Greater Tyler? We could use your help with our program too!
- Volunteers at Outreach Events
By contributing your time and talent, you can directly make an impact in a young person’s life.
Learn More About Volunteer Opportunities
If you would like to learn more about becoming a volunteer with The First Tee of Greater Tyler, please fill out the interest form below.
The First Tee of Greater Tyler is always grateful
to anyone who would like to volunteer their time.
To become a volunteer or lead coach, a registration form will need completed. By applying to be a volunteer with The First Tee of Greater Tyler you agree to our screening process, which may include an interview about your skills and interests, a criminal background check, and character references. You will also receive training about your volunteer role, behavioral expectations, and child protection.
For more information or questions, contact:
Christian Sarran, Program Director
Phone: 903-705-7281 ext 101
PGA Professional Involvement
A special thank you to the following PGA Professionals who have previously donated their time to help with our Program:
- Bo Branyan. PGA
- Darrell Chase, PGA
- Michael Harrison, PGA
- Carl Worley, PGA